from Martha Stewart's Christmas Cookies
To die for.
1 ½ cups almonds (about 6 oz), toasted, skins rubbed off, chopped
1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
10 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 Tablespoon orange zest
¼ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Combine chopped almonds, flour, sugar, butter, orange zest, and salt. Mix with hands until dough just comes together and forms a ball.
- Halve dough. Press each into 7-9 inch cake pan lined with parchment and score to mark 12 equal wedges (but don’t cut through). Sprinkle each with 1 Tablespoon sanding sugar.
- Bake, rotating halfway through until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- While shortbread is warm, cut wedges to separate completely. Let wedges cool slightly in pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
**Or substitute hazelnuts for almonds