A simple lamb dish for our Eastertime Passover meal.
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup barley, rinsed and drained
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 medium onions, chopped
1 pound lamb stewing meat, boneless and trimmed of fat, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt to taste
6 cups chicken stock, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown barley in butter and set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion, then layer in a 2-quart casserole pan.
- Generously salt and pepper lamb. Brown lamb in olive oil, then layer over barley mixture.
- Pour 3 cups chicken stock over meat.
- Cover casserole dish and bake for about 1 hour.
- Add another 3 cups chicken stock, cover again and bake for another hour. Dish is done when lamb is tender and some chicken stock remains. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
Prep: 2+ hours