Made from often overlooked trimmings - and other vegetables - the fresher, the better. The beet greens and carrots are both sweet and the Kluski noodles have heft and a soft texture -- all of which makes this soup especially satisfying. The ambitious could substitute homemade noodles, of course.
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
Saute until soft:
- one medium onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 - 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 lb. beet greens, chopped thin
Once greens are wilted, transfer to large stockpot with:
- 2 - 3 cups beef broth
- water to taste
- 16 oz. package of Kluski noodles
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook until noodles are soft (timed according to instructions on package). This soup is even better warmed up the next day for a quick Saturday lunch.